If you learn one chicken wings recipe this year, make it’s this one. It’s stupidly simple and the marinade is the key to life’s greatness, don’t say I didn’t tell you o. You can swap one ingredient in the marinade and create endless wings recipes. Swap the chipotle for your favorite herb or spice blend. Suya spice , peppersoup spice, rosemary etc. the combinations are honestly endless with just a single swap. I should bottle this mix and sell it self, it’s just too delicious.
Before you people say Ronke you said this is Nigerian style wings but the recipe calls for chipotle, how is chipotle 9ja. Just like thyme, curry, corriander etc, Chipotle is an export. An amazing smoked pepper by our south American brothers and sisters. Swap it out in the recipe for cameroon pepper, black pepper, peppersoup spice blend, suya spice blend etc. Make it yours by using what you have.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chipotle pepper (or smoked paprika)
- ½ large bell pepper
- ½ large onion
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 24 split chicken wings
- 2 knorr cubes
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Other – 2 tablespoons each butter and honey (optional)
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and maggi. set aside
- Add ingredients 1 through 6 to a blender. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Puree to a smooth paste
- Pour ⅔ of the marinade into the chicken. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. line a baking tray with parchment or foil.
- Arrange chicken pieces on the tray. Bake for 35-40 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking. Combine the left over marinade with butter. Set one medium heat and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in honey if using (remove from heat)
- Remove the chicken pieces from the oven. Add into a bowl and add on the cooked sauce. Serve chicken piece or return to the oven for another 10 minutes (to get better color on)
- Serve and enjoy!!!