If you are familiar with this blog you know my love for Rice and Beans in unending. I love beans based dishes! hello Moimoi and akara . Beans is one of the most important ingredients in any pantry as far as I am concerned. I have several rice and beans recipes on the blog including plain cooked and coconut rice and beans. Both recipes require some sort of stew. This version however is good to go, the recipe is Jollofied for that top notch complete experience.
One trick I found that greatly enhances the taste of beans and reduce cook time is soaking. It’s not a necessary step but I can no longer cook beans without first soaking. Soaked beans also plumps up greatly and stays separate when cooked. Do try this trick.
- 2 cups beans (soaked in water overnight )
- 1.5 cups parboiled rice
- 1 400ml can coconut milk/cream (I recommend thai premium)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1-2 hot peppers
- ½ large onion
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 maggi cubes (optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Rince soaked beans. Cover with lots of water. set on medium-high heat and simmer until beans is cooked through 45mins - 1 hr
- Drain cooked beans and set aside
- Combine red pepper, hot pepper, tomato and onion in a blender. blend until smooth
- Place a large pot on medium heat, heat up oil. Stir in blended pepper paste. Simmer until most of the water is evaporated. Add in ginger, paprika, maggi and salt. Stir in coconut milk and ½ cup of water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Wash rice and stir into the simmering sauce. Add in drained beans. stir gently. Cover pot. Reduce heat to low-medium. Simmer for 25 minutes or until water is completely absorbed.
- Serve with some Spicy baked Chicken