You have to love the power of social media hen. A while ago, I posted a picture of rice and egusi soup and asked about other soup/rice combos out there, most people who responded said rice and okro soup. I thought it was the most bizarre thing until I tried it, the deliciousness was epic. My experience inspired me to create an okra based sauce that is made specifically for rice.
A photo posted by @9jafoodie on
Do try out this light and smoky recipe, you will thoroughly enjoy it
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 2 cups shredded smoked fish
- 10-12 shrimps (cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon flour (to thicken)
- 2 Cooking spoons stew base
- 2 cubes maggi
- salt - to taste
- place a large pot on medium-high heat, add in stew base and 4 cups of water. stir to combine.
- add in salt, maggi and smoked fish. Cover and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add in okra and shrimps. stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Dissolve flour in 2 tablespoons of water and add it into the sauce. stir. cook for 1 more minute.
- Sauce is ready to serve. Serve with rice