The very beautiful Atim of Afrolems.com inspired lunch for today. This dish was inspired by her Suya chicken Quinoa Stir fry, you should check it out. For my variation, I decided to make use of Shrimp and coconut oil to bring it all together. I have always been a fan of quinoa; I have tried several recipes with It including this great Quinoa Moimoi recipe we posted last year.
The most important thing to remember is that quinoa should extremely fluffy, water logged soggy quinoa will definitely not work.
Some Quinoa basics:
- 1 cup raw quinoa = 3 cups cooked quinoa
- Quinoa cooks in approximately 20 minutes
- Rinse your quinoa before and allow enough time for it to drain completely
- Medium-low heat produces better result
- 1 part fresh quinoa require 1.5 equal parts liquid
- For best result, use some type of broth as your base – NEVER USE WATER
- Allow time for quinoa to cool after cooking and always fluff with a fork
What you will need:
- 2.5 cups raw quinoa
- 2 cups chopped carrot and peas mix (frozen or canned works just fine)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 3.75 Cups Chicken or Beef Broth
- 2 tablespoon butter – Divided
- 2 cups raw shrimp ( Cleaned and deveined)
- 3 tablespoons Coconut oil (substitute olive, peanut or vegetable oil)
- 2 cloves of Garlic – Finely Minced
- 1 teaspoon dried pepper ( ata gigun)
- 2-3 cubes Maggi*
- Salt to taste
**Note: If you do not have broth, boil 3.75 cups of water with 1 cube maggi, salt and your favorite spices.
Cooking the quinoa
- Start by generously washing the quinoa under running water, you want to get rid of as much “top foam” as possible. Pour the washed quinoa into a colander (sieve) and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes (this is to get rid of excess water)
- Place a pot with a tight fitting lead on high heat, add in the broth. Cover and bring to a rolling boil. Add in one part butter and quinoa. Stir. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 15-20minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool (uncovered)
Making the Stir-Fry
- Season the shrimp with some salt and pepper. Set aside
- Heat up the coconut oil in a large pot or wok. Add in the minced garlic and stir fry until fragrant. Add in the shrimp and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in pepper. Add maggi and salt.
- Stir in the peas and carrots
- Fluff the cooked quinoa with fork, add quinoa into the pot. Add in the left over butter . Stir fry for 1-2 minutes
Your stirfry is ready to serve. Ours was served with Chicken Paprika