This is a simple recipe with huge flavors. I love that it’s not only visually appealing but it’s fresh and healthy. If you have access to fresh seafood, this is a soup recipe to try. Use a combination of whatever you have access to, from crab to lobsters to large prawns, the options are endless. Make it your own; the only rule is that you make it fresh.
If you are trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle or lose weight, it’ honestly not just about eating salads and smoothies. This is one of the points I tried to make in my weighloss mealplan book ; Lose It Nigerian. A variety of meals work excellently for weight loss, they just have to be wholesome and high satiety. Soups are highly recommended due to the high satiety level and most often low caloric point. To take this further and make it a complete meal, add in root vegetables like carrots and healthy carbohydrate like boiled brown rice or chucks of sweet potatoes. Now doesn’t that just sound delicious?
Mind you, you don’t have to be team #fitfam to enjoy this soup, it perfectly fits with the team #Delishfam lifestyle as well.
- 4 cups – Stew base
- 8 cups mixed seafood (fish chunks, crab, lobster, muscles, squid etc) (cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon peppersoup spice (optional)
- 1 medium onion - minced
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (ata-rodo) Minced
- 4 garlic cloves – minced
- Thumb size fresh ginger – minced
- 2 cups cubed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 maggi cubes (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Properly season seafood with some salt and 1 maggi cube. Set aside.
- Place a large pan on medium heat and add in the oil. As soon as the oil is hot, add in onions, garlic and ginger. Stir fry until onion is fragrant. Add in stew base, chopped tomatoes, maggi, salt, peppersoup spice and 6-7 cups of water. Stir.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes