I should probably start with the disclaimer that I no longer eat Tilapia, I created this recipe late in 2014 when Tilapia was still a part of my diet. I had really terrible experiences twice with the frozen Tilapia I got at my local store which motivated me to remove Tilapia from my diet. I honestly just think the aquaculture (fish farm) conditions must be unsafe and unsanitary for the fish to arrive at the store the way they do. I noticed bad smell and unnatural amounts of fat (which is very unusual for wild caught Tilapia) after defrosting the fish,
That being said, this is a great recipe; it’s light, healthy and fitfam approved. If you have access to wild caught tilapia, you should definitely use it. You can also use any other similar size fish like milk fish, croaker, white fish or cod.
- Combine ingredients 2 through 7 in a blender or food processor. Process until coarse.
- With a sharp knife, make some deep incisions on both sides of each fish
- Place the fish in a large baking dish and pour over the puréed sauce. Top with chopped onions & peppers
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 - 35 minutes or until the fish is cooked
- Serve with rice and plantain