This is the recipe that birthed the cook along with 9jafoodie series I run on instagram, I share the process for making my family supper on sundays and I get the 9jafoodie audience to cook along. I havent been very consitent with it lately, life is honestly so packed, I do hope to return to it soon
This tilapia sauce recipe is one of my favorite things ever, in fact it’s going into the extended version of the Lose It Nigerian cookbook. I like how healthy and fresh it is. It’s totally more delicious than the time it takes to prepare. If you are looking for a quick weeknight recipe that is delicious and fast, this is one to try.
- 1 whole Tilapia Fish
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper (tatashe)
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 Small Onion (peeled)
- 1-2 Scotch bonnet peppers (ata-rodo)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (peeled)
- Small pieces fresh ginger (peeled)
- 2 sprigs basil or efirin (scent leaf)
- 1-2 Maggi cubes
- Salt – to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons cooking oil (optional)
- Clean and cut tilapia into steaks . Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place peppers, tomatoes and onion in a pot and cover with some water. Steam on medium-high heat for 10 minutes
- Drain water out of the steamed peppers. Combine in the blender with basil, blend until smooth
- Place a pot on low-medium heat. Add in tilapia, pour over the sauce. Season with maggi and salt to taste. Add in oil if using. Simmer covered for 12-15 minutes.
Your sauce is ready to serve, enjoy with some boiled rice