We raved all about the health benefits of bulgur wheat in this Bulgur jollof recipe we shared a while back. Bulgur is a lower calorie alternative to rice. it can also be enjoyed as a breakfast cereal.
This fried “rice” like recipe is a personal favorite of mine. it’s simple and tastes very much like fried rice at lower calories.
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups shrimps
- 4 chicken drumsticks (bones removed and cut)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 2 cubes maggi
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each curry and thyme powder (divided)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (Carrot, peas, cabbage, sweetcorn)
- 1 green pepper (Tatashe) – Chopped
- Season chicken with some salt, maggi and pepper. Set aside
- Place a large pot (with a good fitting lid) on medium heat; add 1 part each of oil, curry, thyme, 1 cube maggi, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir. Add in coconut milk & 1 cup water. Cover the pot, increase heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in the bulgur and stir. Cover the pot tightly and leave the rice to cook for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Place another large pot on medium heat, add in the left over oil and heat slightly. Add in chicken and cook on all sides (about 5 minutes). Add all left over ingredients and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the precooked bulgur wheat, stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning as needed.
- Serve with vegetables and plantain