In my Lose It Nigerian book, I presented tigernut milk aka ofio (imumu) drink as a diary free alternative to cow milk. I have had so many amazing feedbacks on the recipe and I thought to share it with the bigger 9jafoodie audience. You will be surprised by how easy it is to make this recipe, it’s pretty much just 3 simple steps. The process of making this is similar to soy milk, you can find that recipe HERE . If you dont live where you can easily source tigernut, feel free to substitute almonds in this recipe. If you use fresh tigernuts, there is no need to pre-soak them.
Dried dates can be used as sugarfree way to sweeten the milk. I have heard “read” that adding date and coconut into tigernut makes it an aphrodisiac, I cannot confirm or deny this claim. If you try the combination for this purpose and it happens to be true, please let a sister know.
- 1 cup almonds or tigernut (soaked overnight)
- 4 cups water
- If using dried tigernut or almond, rinse and soak in generous amount of water. leave overnight.
- Drain soaked nut and pour into a blender. Add in 4 cups of water, coconut and date if using. Blend until smooth.
- Place a sieve bag (same type used for pap) over a large bowl and pour the blended almond.
- Squeeze the bottom of the bag to release the milk
- Pour into a jar store in the fridge. nut milk has tendency to coagulate in the fridge, simply shake before each use.